The NORDESTA Reforestation & Education association was founded in Geneva on the 15th of May 1985. Its objective is to preserve tropical forests and to improve the lives of its isolated populations. Our two fields of activity are environment and education:
- Save primitive forests and plante native trees to reforest damaged areas.
- Plant forest corridors to link together isolated forest fragments.
- Set up tree nurseries that will produce trees and create local jobs.
- Protect river springs, install cisterns and water tanks to collect rainwater and allow an access to water for all families.
- Educate local populations on the importance of tropical forests for water, soils, biodiversity and climate.
- Organize seminars and workshops on ecology for local teachers to enable them to act as multiplying agents.
- Work for the preservation of biodiversity in classrooms and in the field.
- Promote the installation of solar panels for schools and environmental centers.
- Encourage research on every renewable energy available.
- Help agricultural communities fight against forest fires and new ways to help them survive in harmony with the forest.
- Develop the rearing of native bees called “melipona” in order to guarantee the pollination and preservation of forests.
- Construct schools and libraries.
- Create training workshops to instruct young people in activities such as carpentry, ceramics, drawing, gardening, sewing, and screen process printing.
- Support the schooling of girls thanks to our action “The way to school for every girl” thrugh our project launched in 2001.
- Equipping local centres that offer accommodation, attention, food, and education to street kids.
- Encourage local farming programs with participation in the fields of sustainable organic plantations and help to set up bee hives.
Projects supported by Nordesta match the following criteria:
- Priority is given to projects initiated by the local population.
- Beneficiaries must commit themselves to the realization of their project.
- The project must acquire financial independence in the long run.
- Among the beneficiaries, poor children and single-parent families are favored.
- Each project must generate “Multiplying Agents” who will help its consolidation and expansion
- The projects are part of sustainable development perspective which links the human being to his environment.
- The municipalities working with us must set up or reinforce their local Agenda 21.